Wednesday, December 22, 2010

FAMILY TREE

This is what Mom and Dad are getting for Christmas!



It is made totally from scraps on muslin.



I used fusible web to hold the leaves in place, then stitched around each leaf, either by hand or by machine, in a variety of stitches. Everyone's name is hand stitched, then I went around everything with the machine and freestyled some flowers, clouds, etc., around the perimeter, adding a few hand-stitched details here and there.
Mom and Dad are on the trunk, then each of their three children have a main branch with their spouses, and grandkids are on smaller branches from there.



My favorite thing about it is that I found the vintage frame AFTER I started stitching, and it was a perfect size! Like the Lord had it all planned out and knew exactly what size muslin scrap I'd be using. He must like Christmas =*)



I bet something similar (and less time-consuming) could be done with pretty papers.
Here's the back...it's from Psalm 128.



"Blessed is every one that feareth the Lord...
Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house;
thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
The Lord shall bless thee...thou shalt see thy children's children."

2 comments:

  1. This is so so lovely. I'm sure they were completely smitten. I just got the new Soule Mama book for Christmas and this reminds me of one of the projects in it. I love that you made it a true family tree. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I've been very inspired by your projects. And Crafternoon! If I lived closer I might have invited myself to come along =*)

    ReplyDelete